“Excessive exposure to mold-contaminated materials can cause adverse health effects in susceptible person regardless of the type of mold or the extent of contamination”, as reported by the U.S. Center for Disease and Control Prevention in June 2006. 

Mold spores can cause serious health issues and mycosis and mycotoxins are two common forms of posioning and fungal infections that can occur. Mycosis is a fungal infection in or on a person’s body also known as systemic mycosis. Exposure to chronic levels of mold buildup is the primary cause of mycosis. It will affect either digestive sytems or sinuses and in severe instances both. The lungs and even skin can become infected causing serious health hurrdles. Individuals who have not previously been properly immunized are at even greater risk for serious infections.

Mycotoxins are poisonous excretions coming from mold spores which can produce serious health hazards. The amount of mycotoxins within molds can vary depending upon temperature, pH level and water activity. Severe levels of mycotoxins can be extremely harmful to people and animals and in extreme cases can even be lethal.

Some of the causes of mold are humid air, flooding/water damage and moisture accelerate the buildup of mold. By being aware of the surroundings and weather one can be more proactive in eliminating the conditions that allow mold to grow. It is also helpful to clean dish towels and sponges regularly to help reduce the risk of ingesting mold in food.

The most common exposure to mold is by airborne exposure and ingesting. Mycotoxins which come in contact with food can not only decrease the nutritional content but also have cancerous effects on the health. Contact with mold can also aggravate the previous conditions such as asthma, allergies, skin and eye irritation, flu and fever-like symptoms, respiratory problems, dizziness, headaches, vomiting and liver damage.

Siding can become gradually worn down and cause the house value to decline if it is not regulary maintained. The life of the siding will decrease leading to more maintenance and higher costs to replace. Mold can really effect the siding because it is just a hard plastic that will eventually wear down. The best way to ensure you get the longest life out of your siding is to have it thoroughly power washed at least once a year.

Concrete patios and walkways around the home can also gather quite a bit of dirt buildup throughout the year as well. Dirt from the ground is picked up by the wind and is obviously can be blown onto any part of the home from groundand eventually will cover surrounding concrete, siding and roof. Keeping the patios, walkways and driveway clean will eliminate the excess dirt which will reduce the amount of airborne dirt around the home. It also will give the concrete and clean new look.